Now in its fourth year, TW WESP is open to schools across London. It comprises:
Free fun and informative water workshops for your pupils (Key Stages 1 – 4)
- Free water audit for your school
- Free benchmarking report for your school to determine whether the school is currently water efficient or not
- Free water efficiency upgrades up to £500 in value to save your school water and money
Working in partnership with Thames Water, ech2o has successfully delivered “Be Water Aware” assemblies to 17,574 pupils and over 1,000 teachers in 47 primary schools and 21 secondary schools over the last three years. We have worked in-depth with 9,407 pupils across all key stages, delivering a series of different workshop choices about using water sustainably. Thames Water realises that, as well as helping schools to save money by retrofitting water efficiency devices and identifying leaks, it is also important to teach pupils about why we all need to save water. This is a package programme, so schools need to sign up to the free water workshops to be eligible for the water efficiency upgrades.
This is the fourth phase of WESP. The previous three phases were a great success. ech2o visited 47 primary schools and 21 secondary schools predominantly across Enfield, Hammersmith, Hackney and Haringey. Children and teachers thoroughly enjoyed the workshops and significant water savings were reported in the majority of the schools. Schools can choose between a series of different workshops.
We work with your pupils to enable them to:
- become more water aware
- know how much water their schools uses
- understand the environmental cost of water and its link to CO2 emissions
- recognise what they can do to reduce their water use both at school and at home
- meet the challenge to create a water aware school
- understand how small changes by all pupils add up to a huge amount of water savings
“At the end of the day we expect to have achieved a more sustainable water culture among the pupils and a step change in behaviour that will save considerable amounts of water both at school and at home.” – Cath Hassell, Director at ech2o
How it works
- Sign up to the water workshops by contacting us at ech2 email email@example.com
- We will contact Thames Water to arrange the audit and the water efficiency upgrades.
- The school receives a useful water audit, great water efficiency upgrades, and fun and informative water workshops!
It has been great to receive feedback from teachers, pupils and parents each year.
“Great workshop. Pictures on interactive white board helped. Interactive with questions and actions which involved the pupils. Great resources left with teachers to give out (to send message home) and to use further in lessons and support the learning in class – Thank you!” (Teacher)
“The feedback from our daughter was glowingly positive, she was hugely enthused by it and she clearly picked up a lot from it. She really does take a lot more care with water now, time spent in the shower, etc. And so far it has stuck, so you and Trevon changed her thinking“. (Parent)
Resources for the school
- We are aware that different schools have different requirements and aim to be as flexible as possible to fit in with your preferences. We can work with one particular year group or across year groups, with whole classes or small groups.
- We have worked with pupils of all ages from reception class through to sixth form and all years in between. We ensure that the delivery style and information is age appropriate, although the topic (sustainable water) remains the same.
- All handouts and PowerPoint presentations are left with the school.
Please contact Cath Hassell or Safa El-Jamal if you have any questions, would like more details about the workshops or would like to sign up.
Telephone 020 7183 1908
We look forward to working with your pupils soon.