Thames Water Water Efficiency in School’s Programme ran over five years in schools across London. It comprised:
Free fun and informative water workshops for school pupils (Key Stages 1 – 4)
- Free water audit for schools
- Free benchmarking report for the school to determine whether the school is currently water efficient or not
- Free water efficiency upgrades up to £500 in value to save the school water and money
Working in partnership with Thames Water, ech2o successfully delivered “Be Water Aware” assemblies and workshops to over 26,080 pupils and 1,286 teachers in 101 schools over the five years. We worked in-depth with 13,168 pupils across all key stages, delivering a series of different workshop choices about using water sustainably. Thames Water realised that, as well as helping schools to save money by retrofitting water efficiency devices and identifying leaks, it was also important to teach pupils about why we all need to save water. This was a package programme, so schools needed to sign up to the free water workshops to be eligible for the water efficiency upgrades.
There were five phases of WESP. ech2o visited 12 primary schools and 4 secondary schools predominantly across Enfield, Hammersmith, Hackney, Haringey and Waltham Forest. Pupils and teachers thoroughly enjoyed the workshops and significant water savings were reported in the majority of the schools. Schools chose between a series of different workshops.
We worked with the pupils to enable them to:
- become more water aware
- know how much water their schools used
- understand the environmental cost of water and its link to CO2 emissions
- recognise what they could do to reduce their water use both at school and at home
- meet the challenge to create a water aware school
- understand how small changes by all pupils add up to a huge amount of water savings
“We achieved a more sustainable water culture among the pupils and a step change in behaviour that saved considerable amounts of water both at school and at home.” – Cath Hassell, Director at ech2o
How it worked
- Schools signed up to the water workshops by contacting us at ech2o via firstname.lastname@example.org
- We contacted Thames Water to arrange the audit and the water efficiency upgrades.
- The school received a useful water audit, great water efficiency upgrades, and fun and informative water workshops!
It was great to receive feedback from teachers, pupils and parents each year.
“Great workshop. Pictures on interactive white board helped. Interactive with questions and actions which involved the pupils. Great resources left with teachers to give out (to send message home) and to use further in lessons and support the learning in class – Thank you!” (Teacher)
“The feedback from our daughter was glowingly positive, she was hugely enthused by it and she clearly picked up a lot from it. She really does take a lot more care with water now, time spent in the shower, etc. And so far it has stuck, so you and Trevon changed her thinking“. (Parent)
Thames Water’s WESP was a brilliant project to be involved in and we are proud to have been part of such a ground breaking initiative that benefitted so many schools and pupils. Every pupil received their own shower timer to take home which reinforced the message of how important it is to be water smart to other family members.
We continue to offer all of these different water workshops with schools and we are constantly researching funding opportunities. Workshops start from as little as £100 for a group of 30 pupils, or a full day working with a range of year groups from £400 for the day and include all resources needed.
Resources for the school
- We are aware that different schools have different requirements and aim to be as flexible as possible to fit in with their preferences. We work with one particular year group or across year groups, with whole classes or small groups, depending on the schools requirements.
- We work with pupils of all ages from reception class through to sixth form and all years in between. We ensure that the delivery style and information is age appropriate, although the topic (sustainable water) remains the same.
- All handouts and PowerPoint presentations are left with the school.
Please contact Cath Hassell or Tahirah Sahrif if you have any questions, would like more details about the workshops or would like to sign up.
Telephone 020 7183 1908
We look forward to working with your pupils soon.