- It’s raining in the zoo and Frankie the flamingo thinks she is sinking! So she sets off on a mission to find out why. Using the story of an inquisitive flamingo, a determined dragonfly and a crab who doesn’t like poo on his head, pupils discover why it is important to save water and the best way to do so.
- This story is an uncomplicated, entertaining and educational way to engage Key Stage 1 pupils on the topic of saving water.
- The workshop is highly interactive. The children help Frankie the flamingo solve the mystery and demonstrate how good they are at standing and talking like a flamingo. The session concludes with a simple quiz to cement the core water savings messages that are raised in the book.
- All pupils get a ‘I’m a water detective’ badge and a ‘I’m water smart’ badge. In some areas of the UK pupils also get a shower timer.
- Each class will receive two copies of the book ‘The mysterious case of the sinking flamingo’ and a DVD of the story.
- There are a series of free downloadable worksheets that accompany this workshop.
- Feedback about this workshop.
- Contact us on email@example.com if you would like more information, or to book this workshop.
- We sometimes have funding to deliver this workshop for free. If not we can direct you to sites where you can apply for help with costs.
Lesson time: 40 minutes
The mysterious case of the sinking flamingo (KS1)